Tuesday, 17 December 2019

Ceisteanna (723)

Ruth Coppinger


723. Deputy Ruth Coppinger asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if the requirement will be examined for separated persons (details supplied) to have a separation agreement or solicitor's letter in cases in which they wish to use their pre-marriage name on the public services card; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [53325/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Employment)

The Public Services Card (PSC) is proof that a person has authenticated their identity at an office of my Department. A person can submit their PSC to prove their identity each time they transact with the public bodies specified in social welfare legislation that use the PSC.

Where a person has already authenticated their identity and been issued a PSC, subsequently wishes to revert to using their pre-marriage/pre-civil partnership name on their PSC, my Department will continue to accept divorce or legal separation agreement documents or correspondence from a solicitor showing that such a separation or divorce has been initiated.

I trust this clarifies the position for the Deputy.